Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Touch of Blue

   Winter decor obviously means white.  I felt like I was drowning in a sea of white.  I thought I should add a touch of color.  However, I wanted it to still have that icy winter feel.  I really wanted some aqua glass balls. With Christmas over, I knew my chances of finding any at a reasonable price were slim.  I decided to try tinting glass.  I had these glass bulbs I found at the Goodwill for $1.
   Working from a tutorial I found here at Momtastic, I began by mixing up food coloring and a tiny bit of water to get the icy blue I wanted.  I then mixed in about 1/2 C of Mod Podge.  It looked like this when I was finished which made me a little nervous because that was definitely not icy blue.
   I then poured a little in each bulb.  I turned and twisted and turned and twisted until every inch was covered.  I then poured out the extra and put them upside down in the box for about 30 minutes.  I did learn it is key to get the excess out or you will end up with darker splotches.
   I then put the upside down on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet in a my oven at 250 degrees.  After 15 minutes, I turned them over and left them in the oven for another 30-45 minutes.  The results were amazing.




   Now Thrift Chick and I are eying anything we see that is plain glass.  The possibilities are endless!


Mama Thrift

 I am linking to:

The Shabby Nest

2 comments:

Katie said...

ooohh!! What a great idea!
You should join me for handmade 52! http://www.raisingoranges.blogspot.com
Katie

Stephanie O' said...

Pretty!