Monday, December 5, 2011

An Estate of Mind

Saturday we went to an estate sale.  I don't know about your neck of the woods, but in ours most estate sales are auctions.  However, about three years ago, my cousin and his wife began running estate sales as tag sales.  The entire contents are tagged down to the very last serving spoon.  On Saturdays whatever is left is half off.  (Of course we go on Saturdays...it is like double the bargain.)
Here is our haul:
Of course you know Thrift Chick is a vintage handkerchief nut.  How cool are the map ones? I thought she was going to have a seizure when she spotted them.  We have a special project in mind for those.
I am a sucker or pretty milk glass especially when they are steals.  Together the two were $6.
This leather frame is pretty beat, but I think I can refurbish it and bring it back to its glory
.Just another tarnished beat up piece of silver, but what a great shape.
Thrift Chick has been wanting an old quilt for her room, but her depleted bank account hasn't been able to handle the prices.  This one was less than $40.  She loves it because you can tell it was made from old clothes and leftover fabric.
The old grain scale was a last minute grab.  Thrift Chick has been after me to buy an old scale, but I just don't have counter space for one.  She spotted this one and said, ""No excuses."  Here is what I did with it.
Look closely and you will see that I first hung it upside down.  I proudly took my pictures and then my family pointed out my mistake...because that is families do.  All in all it was a great half off estate sale and worth the trek out in the icy rain.

Mama Thrift






1 comment:

Stephanie O' said...

What a great haul! I love the map hankies and quilt. And the picture frame is pretty rockin' too! Can't wait for the estate sales to start up again.