Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Nod to Halloween

It is Halloween season and even though our kids are grown, we still have to mark what is my husband's favorite holiday.  When he was a child growing up in poverty, Halloween was an amazing day where people gave you free candy...all you had to do was be willing to dress up and walk for blocks.  To top it off, when a local church invited the neighborhood kids to a Halloween party, he heard his first presentation of the Gospel.  So Halloween marks his road into the ministry. 

Since we now live in the country and don't have trick or treaters, most of our fall decorations are of the general fall themes.  We do have one small nod to the holiday.
The mirror dresser tray  was a Salvation Army find...only 60 cents!  I sprayed painted it black.  The candlabra was also a Salvo find revamped with black spray paint.  All the pumpkins are plastic ones that I purchased last year on clearance from Walmart.  (It is hard for me to buy anything in season when I know it is going to be just a tenth of the price in a few short weeks.)  I sprayed the pumpkins with ivory paint.  I printed the letters on shipping labels and then cut them out to stick on the pumpkins.
Of course the only thing missing is a big bowl of candy.  That will come later.  One small fun size Snickers does not destroy a diet.  However, six do.

Mama Thrift

I am linking up to:

Home Stories A2Z

No comments: