Monday, October 17, 2011

Alligators, Old Mink and New Money

I have been rereading one of my all time favorite books, Alligators, Old Mink, and New Money: One Women's Adventures in Vintage Clothing by: Allison Houtte and Melissa Houtte (Yes, I read! I am a teacher after all!).  It is a wonderful read about Allison Houtte's life in fashion and her experiences with her vintage clothing store "Hootie Couture" in New York City. I highly suggest reading it if you love thrifting and vintage clothes.  It will inspire your thrifting brain!

     There is a part in the book where Allison talks about why people buy vintage clothes and it pretty much sums up the main reason I love to thrift!

...But what makes vintage so hot as a fashion trend is also its biggest hurdle, especially for time-pressed shoppers and anyone who hates to shop.  Hunting for the perfect fur-collar coat, mod dress or rhinestone brooch takes time and energy, even when the owners of your favorite shops know your likes and dislikes and their stores are packed to the eaves with goodies....

...The good news is that when something fits, or completes a look in just the right way, customers feel like they've hit the jackpot. The odds were against them, but they got lucky...

...But that's why most of my customers love vintage. For them, dressing is an adventure, not a chore.

     That last sentences basically sums up why I thrift and why I love wearing what a lot of people look down at and label "old and used" clothing.  For me, dressing is an adventure, not a chore.

Happy Thrifting! Thriftchick

No comments: