Saturday, March 31, 2012

Spring Mantle

I have been a little slow to put away the winter decor and get ready for spring.  I think it was because the small peek of summer we had put me in the mood for barbecues and lazy summer days, not lilacs and Easter eggs.  Our weather has returned to more spring like conditions so I decided I had better get with it or I would miss Easter entirely.



 The mirrored frames I got from an estate sale for $2.00 a piece.  They are really dresser trays.  I spray painted them white.  I have a thing for dresser trays.  That same day, I found an oval one at a thrift store.  I just love when I score multiple times in one day!

A tip about writing on chalkboards.  All over blogland, I see chalkboard items with great quotes written in creative and beautiful handwriting.  When I try it, mine looks like a first grader wrote it.  It slopes and is never centered.  I wipe it off and rewrite it a million times.  This time I used the brains God gave nine year old me.  I printed off what I wanted from the computer.  I took my pencil and colored all over the back of the paper.  I centered the paper on the board colored side down and outlined the letters.  The graphite on the back acts as a carbon and gave me a very light guide to write over with chalk.  I was quite pleased with the result especially since this was just one try.   Sometimes, the ways of the ancients make a lot of sense!


I am linking at:
Very Merry Vintage Style

2 comments:

Blessed Serendipity said...

Your mantle is lovely. I love the chalkboard and the message.

Danielle

very merry vintage style said...

I have to admit... I do the same thing when writing on chalkboards, etc.. Great idea. Yours looks fabulous! Have a wonderful Easter and thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
Mary